Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Just Julie: Homemade Halloween costumes anyone?

The time is drawing near.....Halloween that is. Last year we decided to commit to making our own costumes each year and start a tradition. The result was awesome and it felt very rewarding to have made our family's costumes with my own two hands but just like back in High School when I had a 20 page report due and months to plan, I waited until practically the night before to work on them...lol Oh and did I mention, I had pretty much never sewn anything before, or at least I had never sewn anything "well" before.

My husband and I were pirates, the boys were mini pirates and my daughter was a beautiful mermaid. I am sure we looked way better to ourselves knowing our costumes were unique and handmade, but regardless we dressed up as a family and thoroughly enjoyed our Halloween and festivities.

This year my daughter has announced she'd like to be Lava Girl, from the most annoying kids movie ever : The Adventures of Shark Boy & Lava Girl. I would rank this movie among the top 10 most annoying of all time, and I can now say I've seen it more times than any other adult on the planet, a fact that I am not proud of.

So in keeping with the theme, I am now beginning my preparations for sewing and planning out (1) Lava Girl and (2) Shark Boy costumes for this Halloween. No matter how painful the movie is to watch I am sure that my kids will look great in their costumes once I finish them.

So, what are your plans this Halloween? Do you make costumes, have themed costumes or have any special Halloween traditions? Please share! :)

12 comments:

Unknown said...

I suppose Halloween is a bigger and is celebrated more in America then here in England.
Most the houses have signs telling you to go away!!
We already have a Cat costume for Oli. I'm hoping that there will be a local Halloween party I can take him to!!

PS That film IS ANNOYING!

Anna said...

I love homemade Halloween costumes. Who wants to wear a costume where you could run into 3 other people wearing the same thing? I'm excited to make my daughter's costume this year, but we haven't settled on what she will be yet. We might hit one party, but otherwise we will probably go "trick-or-treat" at the grandparents' and that's it. She is too little to really do anything else.

lsnellings said...

What a great tradition! I really need to learn to sew! I ordered tutu's off of etsy for my girls this year. One is a black cat, the other is a tiger! so cute!

Julie said...

Last year was the first year that both my husband & I dressed up too. Our local Natural Moms Group had a Green Halloween party and everyone who attended dressed up. This year my hubby has to work on Halloween so dressing up for him is out, unless we get invited to a party on another day. I usually take the kids to trick or treat at the local mall. It's air conditioned and there are no mosquitos inside...lol

Denise said...

I love handmade costumes, but I usually have them made. Last year I did make them myself and my daughter was Jane, my son was Tarzan and my baby was a monkey. This year I am thinking: Alice, the Mad Hatter and the Queen of Hearts.

Julie said...

Denise those are great ideas! The Tarzan, Jane, Monkey costumes must have been cute too. I love when everyone matches a theme. I guess that will get harder as they get older and have more of an opinion on what they want to be...

hosiewosie said...

So my daughter (1 yr) is sleeping awful these days, and last night when I was rocking/nursing her to sleep for about half an hour, I was thinking about what she should be for halloween. I just found a sewing machine on Craigslist I think I'm gonna buy (I do not know how to sew a stitch) but I think I can learn and sew something in 2 months right? Thanks for listening, so far, that's only been my late night mind wandering.

Julie said...

You can totally sew something! I don't know how to sew at all. For my sons pirate shorts I just held up some of their regular shorts and cut the fabric in the same shape and sewed it all together. For the mermaid I just sewed a long tube and made the fins, etc. It looked great but if you turned it inside out it is a total mess...but hey she liked it so that's all that mattered. So I say go for it!

Abby said...

I really like the way you are thinking.!! Well, I am just planning to get Halloween costumes from Costume Kingdom.

Lotte said...

Any tips on making the Sharkboy costume?? My son has decided that's what he wants to be this year. So convenient!

Julie said...

Lotte! I am still slacking. Have been researching making muscle man costumes online, then will add a shark fin somewhere...Here are some links I found.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2066056_make-halloween-muscle-man-costume.html

http://www.5min.com/Video/How-to-Build-a-Muscle-Suit-39306312

I think it should be pretty easy to pull off...Could be complex or as easy as just stuffing a tight shirt with padding or stuffing...

wholesale cage fighter said...

I love all of this Halloween costumes. It was fantastic and really looks great. Thank you for sharing.



Michelle

 

Diaper Discussions Copyright © 2009 Diaper Discussions is Designed by 3 Little Flowers