Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Just Julie: My first ever NaNoWriMo!

Wow! I just have to share that I am participating in this year's NaNoWriMo, National Novel Writing Month. It is so fun and I am so glad I am giving it a try. I was inspired to try it by a couple of my local moms group friends who are participating.

If you aren't familiar with NaNoWriMo, it is 30 days of fast and furious fiction writing! You join the site, it's free, and they motivate you to write, write, write. They have a word counter to help you keep track of how far you've gotten, forums where you can connect with other locals, and tips and tricks for writing in general.

If you can complete a 50,000 word Novel by the end of November then you're considered a winner. The prize...self satisfaction, knowing that you wrote a NOVEL! How cool would that be. Many people say "Oh, I'd like to write a book one day" but very few actually do.

Scenario: You sign up for NaNoWriMo, you write and write and you finish! You read it, let some friends read it and hey, you think it might be good enough to get published. You submit it to a publisher it and Bam! Your book's in Oprah's Book Club! (can you tell I am an optimist?) LOL

Anyways, you never know and it sure is fun to try. So far I am at about 5,000 words, only 45,000 more to go, and you know what? I actually like my story so far. It started out with me doubting I could find anything to write about and now, 5000 words in I am on a roll. Plus, somehow a dead body ended up in the story, I didn't plan it but my characters stumbled upon it, now I'm just trying to roll with it...

So, it's not to late for you to sign up. And if you need a writing buddy add me to your list! My id is geishagirrrl! Good Luck!
 

Diaper Discussions Copyright © 2009 Diaper Discussions is Designed by 3 Little Flowers