Friday, September 18, 2009

Using Flat Diapers with a Newborn

When I started cloth diapering our newborn the day after he was born, I had a stash of preemie sized prefolds (for babies up to 10 pounds) and infant size prefolds (for babies up to 15 pounds).

Unfortunately, the preemie prefolds were too small to fasten with a Snappi around my 7 pounds son, and leaked if I just placed them in the cover; and the infant prefolds just didn’t fit well in the extra small newborn covers.

Fortunately, I’d also bought a dozen birdseye flats, thinking that they were cheap and I might experiment with them someday. I tried simply folding a flat diaper in half, then folding it in half again. Perfect! They were so easy to use, and kept the runny poo totally contained (unlike the hospital disposables).

They were also a breeze to wash and dry. I ordered two dozen more right away, and I’m still using them almost 6 months later. I never would have guessed that my favorite cloth diapers would be flats!

Contributed by
Christy

4 comments:

Erin said...

I am definitely interested in learning more about this option.... everyone in my family gives birth to teenie tiny babies, and i have no idea whether the diapers i already have will fit my daughter when she's first born.... fingers crossed! :)

Attila & Tamara said...

I have been hearing quite a bit about flat diapers. This is seriously making me think about getting some to try with baby #2 during newborn stage. Thanks.

Ryan, Corrie, Max, and Jack said...

I'm glad flats worked out!! I tried them, but wasn't creative enough to experiment a whole. I do love prefolds on a newborn, though!!

 

Diaper Discussions Copyright © 2009 Diaper Discussions is Designed by 3 Little Flowers